I was trying to ignore my blog for a while, almost on purpose, perhaps to jumpstart my need to vomit the thoughts from my brain into the page. I supposed it was another attempt at poking the sleeping muse into inspiring as the need is still there. I even have a butt load of topics to choose from. Quite often I’ve been plagued with insomnia and instead of coming down and writing down a blog post that is so obviously stuck in my head I just while away at the mattress toss. Hell, even just simply getting distracted while writing has curbed the blog bug. Just now, after I forced myself to start this, I got distracted by newspaper headlines while heading upstairs for another cup of joe.
I’ve even refrained from reading other people’s blogs. Sure, I’ve stepped in at The Pioneer Woman and Redneck Mommy when new stuff pops up on their twitter, but for the most part I’m not even reading.
Here’s what keeps me busy lately:
- House building: well of course this has been happening. It’s startling, really, how far we’ve come. My mudroom and bathrooms are tiled, my kitchen cupboards are being installed as I type and the painter is picking up the colours to start the real coat of paint next week (and lacquering the baseboards, railings, & casings). No new pictures as the exterior hasn’t changed and I’ve been seriously slacking on the photography uploads. Although I could show people the view of the baby cows being birthed out my back door. Take THAT Pioneer woman!
- Homeschooling: making changes in this area seems silly to do toward the end of the year, but that’s how I roll I guess. Not major changes, but changes that suit my kids. Switching school boards again in the fall to a local one that will hopefully fit our needs a bit better.
- Knitting: Oh man this has been fun. I’ve done a few projects lately, but the newest one is actually for me. I spend down time, tv/movie time and free time, knitting. Has this taken over my writing passion? Perhaps, but temporarily. I do love it and it’s helped my hands stay strong while my body falls apart again.
- Spring cleaning/packing: Oh joy, it’s that time of year again, but also needing to be done in order to sell our house. We’ve cleared out the playroom/basement so it looks less like a junky dumping zone and more like an area that people who want to buy our house can see as a useful spot. Plus it looks as if we have just grown out of our house instead of grown out of room for our crap.
- Cooking/cleaning/raising kids,etc: this stuff of course takes the majority of the time, but seems to be the least productive, if you know what I mean. Yes, my kids are amazing people and are growing at a rapid rate, eating me out of house and home, but by least productive, I mean the efforts I put into it don’t have a quantitative amount. I can see how many boxes I’ve packed, I can see which surfaces have been scrubbed, but I can’t quantify the rearing of my babies except in their eyes …. no really, their eyes, since I’m almost looking into them eye-to-eye now.
- Adopting: oh yes, this little thing called adoption. I don’t want to say there is no news, as there is, but it isn’t stuff I can explain. We are still in the process of adopting the 3 kids I spoke of in the fall, which would mean I’d have a whole butt load of noise and lovely, lovely chaos. Add THAT on top of building and moving and see if you can keep up. It is progressing, moving forward for sure, it’s just slooooooooow. Right about now my mom has scrunched her eyes in confusion wondering what I’m not telling her. But, like this blog, I’ve decided that I’m not going to give any news until it’s like ‘we’re picking up the kids tomorrow what are you doing for lunch’ kind of news. It’s just too stressful on those around me.
- Depression: oh, I should say Dysthymia really as it’s a high-functioning depression, but it’s rearing its ugly head right about now. Which I guess is normal. If there isn’t 1 time a year I debate the benefits of some Prozac, I’d be lying to myself.
So there is a bit going on that has been keeping me from here. I suppose it’s easy to say I just need to suck it up and do it, but if anything were that easy my teeth would be straightened already (oh yeah, add that to the list too), my ass would be tighter, my house would be done and I’d have 3 more kids to boss around in my house. It’ll come back, it just may take some time…. does someone have any I can borrow for a while?